Dear SIOP members,
At the end of Gold September 2020 – Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, SIOP would like to recognize the outstanding efforts of our members, partners, and volunteers to make this year’s campaign another great success.
SIOP was honoured to support the numerous initiatives around the theme of curing and surviving childhood cancers. This strong message of hope was illustrated by images of former patients and their future adult lives. Created by Tina Bouffet, these show survivors of the 6 pediatric malignancies that are currently the focus of the WHO Global Initiative for Childhood Cancer (GICC) – a pivotal effort where SIOP is proud to be an active partner.
In this Year of the Nurse and the Midwife, we were furthermore delighted to share a Gold September-themed image of a survivor becoming a nurse to celebrate the key role of this specialty in the multidisciplinary team caring for young cancer patients.
It is a pleasure to share some further highlights from Gold September 2020.
Special Gold September webinar on Global Advocacy for Childhood Cancer
On 23 September, this special event co-organised by SIOP and St Jude Global brought together SIOP Continental Presidents from all 6 global regions, Childhood Cancer International as the voice of parents and patients, and the WHO GICC as the key initiative to make progress in the rate and quality of cure worldwide.
The virtual meeting addressed the following questions:
- What have been key achievements in each region?
- What are the common challenges?
- Which lessons learned can be translated to other local contexts?
- How can we all work together and support the WHO GICC effort to advance change?
Listen to the webinar and view the presentations here:
Cities lighting in Gold
Several international landmark buildings were lighted up in gold in September to raise awareness about childhood cancer. Highlights include:
- Brussels (European Union): European Parliament, 1 – 6 September 2020
- Dubai (UAE): Dubai Frame, 22 September 2020
- Kyiv (Ukraine): Kyiv City Council, 29 September 2020
- Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia): KL Tower, 17 – 18 September 2020
- London (UK): BT Tower, 1 September 2020
- Rabat (Morocco): Children’s Hospital, 15 September 2020
- Singapore (Singapore): National Gallery, 5 – 30 September
- Shenzhen (China): Shenzhen Tower, 17 September 2020
- Tehran (Iran): Milad Tower, 1 – 30 September 2020
- Toronto (Canada): CN Tower, 1 September 2020
- and many more !
SIOP looks forward to the next important date for our community: Childhood Cancer Awareness Day on 15 February 2021 and working together to keep childhood cancers high on the global agenda.