Communications and Marketing Manager (Home-Based)
Home-based / Remote position, Full time
Tentative Start Date: September ~ October, 2022*
Initial Contract: 12 months, with possibility for extension**
Established in 1969, the International Society for Paediatric Oncology (SIOP) is the only global multidisciplinary society entirely devoted to paediatric and adolescent cancers. With a steadily growing membership, SIOP currently unites over 2,600 healthcare professionals and researchers working with paediatric patients worldwide. The community shares a strong common purpose: to increase survival rates, to improve quality of survival and to ensure care for all. Among other initiatives, the Society runs an Annual Congress on pediatric oncology, attended by 3,000 delegates from 134 countries globally.
As activities have increased, the Society wishes to recruit a dedicated Communications and Marketing Coordinator to support the SIOP Secretariat, the Board of Directors and the leaders of the Society’s Committees, Networks and Working Groups with streamlined communications and marketing.
The position holder will work closely with the CEO, Executive Director for Programs and Strategies and other team members to ensure every aspect of the Society’s communications and marketing is optimized and managed in accordance with Society’s guidelines and Strategy.
The ideal candidate will have experience of at least 5 years in communications and marketing with a non-profit organization. Attention to culture, community and mission must be a continuous focus. Strong writing skills and written and oral fluency in English are of utmost importance.
Communications & Marketing Strategy
- Develop and implement an integrated Communications & Marketing Plan
- Align communications opportunities with organizational priorities to amplify SIOP’s vision and mission
- Ensure consistency of SIOP’s message, priorities and branding across all comms and marketing channels
- Lead on Press Release Statements to mark key events or share SIOP’s position about childhood cancer issues and new emergencies
Social Media & Blog Space
- Develop an Annual Social Media Plan (FB, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, Blog) and expand SIOP’s social media presence and member engagement; Develop а strategy for non-English social media content promoting the Society’s work
Marketing & MailChimp
- Lead the Annual SIOP Membership Drive
- Manage SIOP’s Visual Identity Guide
- Oversee and improve the Society’s communications (MailChimp) with members
- Produce Quarterly newsletter with content from Society’s stakeholders and other key communication pieces, as requested
- Develop website content strategy; consider and implement new features of the website
- Oversee website content updates and collaborate with content owners
Advocacy and Special Projects
- Support Advocacy Director to optimize communications and campaigns related to key events
- Implement SIOP’s contribution to special events led by partners through communications
Platform for Community Engagement
- Work with vendor to implement and roll out new software for community engagement/member engagement; ensure smooth content transfer onto the new platform
Key Skills and Attributes
- Willing to accept a freelance contract (working as an independent freelancer)***
- Service oriented – ability to communicate effectively with our members and partners
- Well organized and detail-oriented; Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment and under pressure
- Pro-active approach – ability to foresee problems before they occur
- Strong collaboration skills and a good team player
- Ability to work with diverse and multi-disciplinary and remotely based teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to draft correspondence in English; fluency in another foreign language (French, Spanish etc) is an advantage.
- Position requires travel abroad from time to time, post-pandemic, at approximately 3 trips per year. All travel expenses will be reimbursed by the Society.
- The Consultant must have access to internet and a personal computer and be willing to work late night on occasion when we have online meetings in global timezones that need their input/support.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences required. MA degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience in communications and marketing strongly preferred, ideally with non-profit organizations.
- Fluency in English (written and oral) at a native speaker/mother tongue level required; Fluency (written and oral) in French, Spanish, or another language strongly preferred.
- Tech savvy: excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Internet research skills. Familiarity with Newsletter technology (MailChimp) and Website Content Management Software (CMS) such as WordPress and survey software (SurveyMonkey) are an advantage.
- Proven experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Willingness to learn on the job (approximately 3 times / year)
- Candidates working in the European timezones (GMT, CET, EEST or similar) are strongly preferred in order to allow easy collaboration with the rest of the team
Submit your CV and cover letter, including desired renumeration, to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 16, 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to take a short test prior to a Skype Video interview with the SIOP CEO.
*SIOP may have some flexibility on the start date to accommodate the best candidate.
**Extension of the contract is subject to strong performance and the needs of the Society.
***SIOP will offer a consultancy contract to the successful candidate. Apart from the monthly consultancy fee paid to the consultant via a bank transfer, the consultant will not receive any other payments and is expected to handle all applicable taxes, pension contributions, insurance etc by himself or herself. Please apply only if you are willing to accept a consultancy contract.
****The Consultant will be reimbursed for any travel costs for business trips.