HRH Princess Dina Mired
SIOP is pleased to announce that Her Royal Highness, Princess Dina Mired of Jordan, has agreed to be SIOP’s first Patron. In this role, Princess Dina will be working with the Board to support us in our advocacy work and delivery of our new strategy. Princess Dina is a mother of a cancer survivor and a well-known and respected advocate for Cancer Control and Non-Communicable Diseases.
SIOP 2022 Annual Congress - Opening Speech
With the completion of her term as President of the UICC, Princess Dina has taken on several new advocacy roles. Besides her SIOP Patron role, she is also a member of WHO’s Expert Technical Group to Accelerate the Elimination of Cervical Cancer and its Civil Society Working Group on Noncommunicable Diseases as well as a special advisor to Vital Strategies, a New York City–based global public health organization. As Immediate Past-President of UICC, Princess Dina will also remain engaged in the UICC community.
Full background & accomplishments:
2021:Honorary Presidency of the EORTC Research Fund
Past President for Union International for Cancer Control (UICC) 2018– 2020: HRH Princess Dina is the current Immediate Past President of the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC). Testament to her outstanding leadership, she was the first Arab to have been elected in in such a prestigious global post.
- King Hussein Cancer Foundation Director General 2002- 2016: HRH Princess Dina established and led all the core work of the King Hussein Cancer Foundation (KHCF) as Director General from 2002 till June 2016. Princess Dina transformed the non-profit into the most successful grass root fundraiser for all cancer control efforts in Jordan and positioned it into an internationally known brand and leader in development, advocacy, public awareness on early detection and prevention, cancer coverage, and patient support. KHCF became a role model not only in Jordan but also in the global movement for people affected by cancer. Princess Dina served as the Honorary Chairperson of the Jordan Breast Cancer Program (JBCP) 2006-2016. She is also a fierce advocate in the fight against tobacco, both in Jordan and globally
- Global Advocacy: As a global advocate for Cancer Control and Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDS), On Sept 2011 Princess Dina delivered, the keynote speech on behalf of all civil society on the opening of the United Nations General Assembly first ever High-Level Meeting on NCD’s. On September of 2018, Princess Dina was chosen again to speak at the third high level meeting on NCDs as “Eminent Champion of the fight against Non-communicable diseases”.
Princess Dina serves/served in many high-profile international roles:
- Member of WHO Expert Technical Group for the Elimination of Cervical Cancer
- Honorary Ambassador of Harvard Global Health Win-Win Initiative (current)
- Member of WHO Civil Society Working group on NCD’s
- Honorary Member of the Mediterranean Task Force for Cancer Control in Italy
- Member (observer) of Jordan National Tobacco Control Committee, and Head of Technical Committee reporting to Prime Ministry
- Global Ambassador for Tobacco-Free Portfolios
- Honorary President of Harvard University Global Task Force for Expanded Access to Cancer Control and Care in the Developing World
- Member of the advisory Board of NCD child
- Ambassador for the Global Smoke-free Worksite Challenge
- 2020 Sept: “C3 Global Women Empowerment Award”by C3 International
- 2019Sept: “Patient Advocate Award” by the American Society for Clinical Pathology
- 2018 Dec: Awarded the prestigious “Arab Woman Award 2018 for her “Achievements in Global Leadership in Cancer Control.”By London Arabia organization honors and recognizes Arab women who have made a significant impact in different areas on not only the lives of everyone in their community but also around the globe.
- 2018 April: Conferred the title of “Honorary Doctor” by the prestigious Medical University of Asuncion-Paraguay, to recognize her global efforts in fighting cancer.
- 2017: Awarded the “Female of the year 2017- Golden Award for Excellence”by the “Arab Women Council” to recognize her outstanding efforts in social responsibility in the Arab World.
- 2016: Conferred the title of “Honorary Doctor” by the prestigious Yerevan State Medical University (YSMU) in Armeniato recognize her global efforts in the fight against cancer.
- 2016: Chosen for Susan G Komen’s first-ever More than Pink list of those who have made a significant impact in the fight to end breast cancer
- 2016: Oct to be awarded the “Personality of 2016 in the fight against breast cancer” by Zahra Breast Cancer Association of Saudi Arabia
- 2015: Recipient of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) medal of Honor in recognition of your outstanding leadership and advocacy for cancer control worldwide
“Thank you SIOP for taking the mantle for all these years, advocating year in year out, on behalf of children with cancer. You have done it with passion, determination, and absolute resolve and constancy. Thus moving paediatric agenda forward saving thousands of lives along the way”.