As paediatric oncologists, we are fortunate to belong to a community of physicians who recognize the importance of our commitment to clinical and research initiatives as well as the commitment to service for our patients, their families, and the training of our junior scientists and physicians. SIOP is an organization of globally minded individuals who not only focus on improving care for children, not only in our immediate community, but also for children throughout the world.
Mentorship is an important factor in professional development and provides benefits for both the mentee and the mentor. We have been working in collaboration with the American Society of Hematology and the Children’s Oncology Group to develop an international and inclusive mentorship programme for Young Investigators from all backgrounds. Following a pilot programme based in Latin America, the SIOP-YI mentorship scheme is open for applications.
Global Mentorship Program
Our goal as the SIOP YI Mentorship Committee is to pair mentors and mentees in order to facilitate a mutually beneficial and successful long-term relationship. This application-based and formal relationship will span three years and during that time the Mentorship Committee will act as a liaison between you and your mentee.
Program at a glance
- Complete the Mentee Application Form below. The questions in this form help us in our goal to match you with a mentor best suited to you.
- Once we have found a good mentor match for you, we will send you a letter.
- Please get in touch with your mentor as soon as possible. You will be provided with a liaison to help you throughout this process.
- Once you have had a chance to meet your mentor, begin discussing your goals and objectives and include them in your Mentor – Mentee plan.
- We will check with you periodically with questionnaires to ensure that the programme and your relationship with your mentor are meeting your needs.
Eligibility criteria for the Mentorship Program are:
- You should have completed your primary degree.
- If you are further in training, you must be no more than 5 years after completion of your formal paediatric oncology training.
- You must be a SIOP member. Not a member yet? Click here
- You must have a letter of support from your institution – we will provide a template which can be downloaded with the application form.
- Ideally you should have an idea of a project or goal that you wish to accomplish.
If you are a young investigator from clinical or non-clinical background and you think you would benefit from mentorship please email email@example.com for more information and an application pack.
If you are an established academic or consultant, and would like to mentor a young investigator, please use the same email address to get in touch. We try to carefully match mentors and mentees to ensure that expectations are met and the relationship is beneficial. Each pair retains a named contact within the SIOP-YI mentorship committee to facilitate and maintain the relationship.
We look forward to working with you in the future and if you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at the Mentorship Committee.