The Publications & Survey committee was created to ensure that all publications and surveys carrying the SIOP name are in line with SIOP’s vision and mission.
OCTOBER 25, 2020
6 + 1 ex-officio
Guidelines for manuscripts & surveys using SIOP name and affiliation:
Review manuscripts* prior to any manuscript submission for/if:
- Use of SIOP Logo
- Use of SIOP Data
- Emanating from the Board, committees, working groups or ad hoc groups of SIOP
- Proposing to publish SIOP-sanctioned treatment or management guidelines
- Proposing to publish any SIOP policy or advocacy position
* Publications can only be supported by SIOP if written from a SIOP perspective. Just having prominent and active SIOP members contribute single articles or chapters to a publication does not make it a SIOP entity. Also, unless a group/task force was formed inside or in conjunction with a SIOP individual Committee and the initiative for guidelines/position statement (or such) begun by this group, then we would recommend that neither SIOP nor the SIOP individual Committee endorse the guidelines/position statement, etc. In other words, there would not be retro-active endorsement.
- Publications Committee under the chairmanship of SIOP Executive Director
- Reports to Board through Chair (SIOP Executive Director)
- Log maintained by SIOP Office
- Publications submitted for review by the Publications Committee via SIOP Office
- The Committee meets monthly on the first Friday of the month. Submissions received at least 7 days before this date will be considered during the meeting. Decision to author will be communicated within one week after the Committee has reviewed the document.
Historically, SIOP has been asked to distribute surveys to members by researchers exploring topics related to childhood cancer. Given the increased number of requests, SIOP has found it necessary to create a survey policy and review process. Surveys created by SIOP to collect SIOP-related data (e.g., strategic planning or membership issues), only require registration in the newly created SIOP Survey Tracker. However, surveys from SIOP partners, external parties, or SIOP members conducting research for personal academic or other purposes require scrutiny to determine the level of benefit to SIOP members and appropriateness for the Society before being endorsed and distributed.
- Topic has to be compelling for SIOP Membership
- Engage with SIOP Publication & Survey Committee early in the process
- Must be a rationale for survey as the only reasonable methodology available to obtain this data
- The survey creator has determined that there is no existing database with this information
- If survey is funded, funding source must be disclosed in full
- Use of the results of the proposed survey must be described and the use must be compelling as well as what action is expected to occur post-survey.
- Survey creator must be a SIOP member, or partner with an MOU or a collaborator who has created the survey in concert with a group within SIOP
- Brief summary of the findings (including response rate) must be sent to SIOP within 3 months of the close of the survey
- Results of a SIOP-endorsed survey distributed to SIOP members (including intra- SIOP Committee or Working Group or Task Force surveys) are considered to include SIOP data. Therefore, SIOP’s contribution must be acknowledged and the manuscript reviewed by the SIOP Publications & Survey Committee before submission for publication as outlined above.